We talk about it.
1 of every 5 students has dyslexia.
• a learning difference that is neurological in origin
• a major societal issue, affecting 1 in 5 individuals
• a difference affecting the development of reading, writing and spelling skills
• a difference that comes with Super Powers! People with dyslexia often have intelligence in areas such as visual-spatial, emotional and creative.
Dyslexia is not:
• reading backward
• something children will "grow out of"
• an indicator of low intelligence. In fact, people with dyslexia often have above average intelligence.
• a diagnosis that means an individual cannot be successful. In fact, many of the world's most successful entrepreneurs, athletes and artists have dyslexia.
You and your child likely feel you are in a delicate state. Properly assessed and taught, though, your struggling reader can transform into a smiling reader and take flight in life.
Check each box that applies to your child.
These are signs that your child may have dyslexia: